Sangria is a Spanish wine cocktail, which generally consists of wine, brandy, fruit juice, and sliced fruit. In recent years, both the white and red varieties have become popular. Sangria is great for summer parties. It can easily be made in large quantities, is refreshing on a hot day, and goes great with Prosciutto, burgers, and hot dogs. We have assembled several recipe options for your 4th of July weekend party. Add red, white, and blue fruit for a festive flair!
Red Sangria Punch
- 1 750ml bottle red wine
- 1 each lemon, lime and orange cut into wedges
- 2tbs sugar
- Splash of orange juice
- 2 shots of gin or triple sec
- 1 cup frozen strawberry slices
- 1 small can diced pineapple with juice
- 4 cups ginger ale
Squeeze the juice from the lemon, lime and orange wedges and then add fruit wedges to the juice. Add the remaining ingredients, except ginger ale. Ideally, chill for several hours or overnight. Add ginger ale (ideally this has been pre-chilled as well) prior to serving.
Grab and Go or Semi-Homemade
The De La Costa Red Sangria is bottled off-dry style of sangria bursting with bright orange, lemon, cherry, cinnamon and ginger flavors. Chill and serve on its own, or make it semi-homemade with the following suggestions.
- Add ginger ale for a bit more spice and bubbles without adding alcohol.
- Add Babbo Extra Dry Prosecco to give it a touch of sweetness and lighter fruit flavors.
- Add Hillinger Secco Pinot Noir Rose for bubbles and Jazz apple, pear, and melon notes.
- Add brandy for a traditional alcohol kick.
- Add Fireball Whiskey for a non-traditional kick.
- Serve in a punch bowl or pitcher with any of the above plus cut up fruit to complete the presentation
Another variation is frozen sangria made with Lieutenant Blender’s Wine Freezers. Mix according to package directions and toss in the freezer overnight. About an hour before the party, take the bag out of the freezer and lay it on the counter. Your patience will be rewarded with a sangria slushy!
- Mix the Lt. Blender Red Sangria with dry red wine, like Rubus Lodi Old Vine Zinfandel or Secret Cathare Merlot
- Mix the Lt. Blender White Sangria with dry white wine, like Bricco dei Tati Cortese or Pannonica White
We will be open from 10am-4pm on 4th of July for any last minute wine needs.
Happy 4th of July from City Vino!