Grilled tri-tip steak basted with Setter Mountain "Moonshiners" BBQ sauce is an easy and delicious summer recipe.
This recipe can be done with other cuts of steak as well, but I like tri-tip. If you are able to add smoking chips to your grill, this is even better.
The Setter Mountain "Moonshiners" BBQ sauce is a smokey, tomato-based style with bourbon and a slight brown sugar sweetness.
- 2-3lb Tri-tip steak
- 3-4 Tbsp Setter Mountain "Moonshiners" BBQ sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- prep grill with smoker chips and pre-heat to a medium-high heat
- Season steak with salt and pepper to taste
- Grill approximately 8-10 minutes per side over direct heat
- Baste with bbq sauce and grill for approximately another 3-5minutes per side depending on the size of the steak and preferred degree of doneness.
The bbq sauce does provide a bit of sweetness which will increase the perception of bitterness and acidity in the wine. It will also decrease the sweetness and fruitiness of the wine. This steak pairs well with a fruity red with medium tannin and acid - for example a Zinfandel or Australian Shiraz. Fruity, medium-bodied roses would also work well.